12:00 pm - 1:30 pm
- The Opioid Epidemic
- Opioid Fraud and Abuse Pilot Program
- Opioid-Related Investigations
- Legal Framework: Drug Trafficking
- Legal Framework: Health Care Fraud Charges
- Investigation Basics
- Special Considerations
- Charging and Sentencing
Runtime: 1 hour and 33 minutes
Recorded: March 7, 2018
The seminar will provide an overview of the DOJ’s opioid fraud and abuse detection units.
Assistant U.S. Attorney Haley Bunn, Southern District of West Virginia, and Assistant U.S. Attorney Andrew Smith, Eastern District of Kentucky, will provide an overview of the DOJ’s opioid fraud and abuse detection units.
The presentation will begin with a brief overview of the opioid epidemic followed by a description of the opioid fraud and abuse pilot program and opioid-related investigations. Next, the legal framework, investigation basics and potential penalties related to the fraud and abuse investigations will be discussed. Lastly, Ms. Bunn and Mr. Smith will provide key takeaways.
- Structure and location of the Units
- Investigative targets, priorities and "red flags" for these targets, and the common types of fraud
- Legal authorities used in opioid-related prosecutions along with the potential charges and sentencing
This program was recorded on March 7th, 2018.